Thursday, March 26, 2015

Interruptions

Noah and I had a date night last night. We had a lovely supper of meatballs, rice and green beans, after which our evening commenced. On the agenda was a movie and popcorn; the 'Sound of Music'. Then the pager went off.
Kathryn was napping, so I diddled and diddled. It was just a CO2 alarm gone off, which usually takes 5 minutes to take care of. This one took a LONG time. I think he was back at 7:30 or so. To pass the time, I looked at Pinterest till that got old, and eventually decided to make a small batch of cinnamon rolls. And so I did. They turned out beautifully. Anyway, Noah came home, with sparkling grape juice as a peace offering. :) We ended up sipping out of wine glasses and nibbling on girl scout cookies while watching Julie Andrews dance. It was fun. And then there were delectable cinnamon rolls to top the evening off. It was a grand success.

There  is a quote that sums up what I've been thinking about lately. "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln.  I'm a procrastinator. A very good procrastinator. Something that I finally did today that should have happened in the fall is to spritz Oxiclean on a stain on one of our kitchen chairs. When Amy and I made applesauce, we put the box of apples on a chair, but never noticed the bottom was wet until we were done. That was about 6 months ago. Is anybody else that bad?

I'm also realizing that Kathryn is gonna learn to do the same things I'm doing. She follows by example. How in the world would I be able to punish her when I'm daily teaching her bad habits?  I need to teach her that when something falls on the floor, pick it up. Instead of just looking at the leaves on the ground, get a rake and take care of them. Fold all the laundry right away instead of leaving the last load in the dryer for hours to wrinkle. But of course, there are so many other things to interrupt me instead. Things that aren't as monotonous as daily household chores.

When we found out we were expecting a baby last winter, teaching all these things was not what I included in the 'when you have a baby' mind-set. I was thinking changing diapers, reading stories, lots of cuddles, those types of things. I still get to do all those things, just the list added a few things I didn't know.  I didn't realize then that washing dishes can be a life lesson.




No comments:

Post a Comment